Become an Education Volunteer
Share your passion for nature and science as an education volunteer with Bird Conservancy of the Rockies!
Education volunteers are essential to the Bird Conservancy’s efforts to instill a conservation ethic in people of all ages through interactive learning experiences using birds as the “hook.” As an education volunteer, you will assist the education team with in-class programs, field trips and educational outreach events in the Denver Metro area to teach about the importance of bird conservation.
- Enhance your knowledge of the natural world through initial training and continuing education opportunities
- Gain valuable and rewarding volunteer experience
- Be part of a community that cares about the environment and inspires others to appreciate it
Bird Conservancy education volunteers receive classroom and in-the-field training. Training is typically held in March at the Bird Conservancy’s Environmental Learning Center at Barr Lake State Park in Brighton, Colorado. Training topics include:
- Basic ecology and ornithology
- Teaching techniques, program structuring and public speaking tips
- Opportunities to practice the skills and information acquired
No experience is required to become an education volunteer. However, candidates must demonstrate a willingness and ability to recognize and embrace teachable moments, lead students using interactive techniques and open-ended questioning, and enjoy working with all ages.
- Attend initial training and at least two continuing education sessions
- Commit to a certain amount of volunteer hours during the year
- Ability to stand or walk for at least two hours at a time (please contact us to accommodate any physical limitations)
- Pass a background check
- Pass a drug screen
- Ability to ensure the safety of program participants
- Ability to get yourself to and from the education site
- Punctuality and reliability
- Follow provided schedule for each program
- Speak loudly over other environmental noises
- Prepare, return and organize education materials as needed
- Ability to adapt teaching techniques to many different audiences, weather situations and time constraints
Register to Become an Education Volunteer
Access the volunteer registration page.